Monday, June 02, 2008

A Mishap on the Lighter Side

On Friday of last week, I had a "pollyana" moment that took my by surprise. I decided that the "dislike" I was experiencing from fellow life travelers was because I was unhappy with myself and that this made them uncomfortable. My "pollyanna" solution was that I was responsible for my own happiness and needed to do something about it pronto! Well, I can only take so much of the "light side" and I become nauseus with this line of thinking.



I do believe that we are responsible for our own happiness. However, what creates happiness for one does not necessarily create it for another. My happiness may be a bit "darker" than that of yours...and this is okay. My happiness does not have to emulate yours, nor vice versa.

As a society, we need to learn to accept each other for who we are rather than expecting those around us to fit into a preconceived mold of who we think they should be. I may not be all sunshine and light, but I am a good friend, an excellent mother, and a hard worker. And quite frankly, Pollyanna makes my head hurt.

No comments: